I have been fine-tuning the roadster a bit. I was having problems with the Brooks b72 saddle. When I sat on it, the skirts would open up, and drop my butt right on top of the seatpost. Not fun. So, I took a drill and the lace from an old boot, and laced her up nice and tight. She seems a bit more comfortable now.
It took a lot of trial and error with washers, but I was able to get the gearcase back on. I had to add a few washers between the chain stay and the gearcase to compensate for the widening of the rear end. It mostly works now, but now the driveside pedal rubs it a bit on the road. It doesn’t do that in the repair stand, so I’m not sure what the problem is. If you click the picture, you can see how it’s messing with the paint on the bottom of the gearcase.
Anyhow, now that she was looking all spiffy, I threw my Kindle in the Carradice and rode down by the river to read for a while.
I’m still having problems with the seat post slipping. I cut a shim from a soda can and stuck it in around the seatpost. The post is supposed to be 1″ (25.4mm) I measured it, and the seatpost is the right size, so that must mean the seat tube it too big. I even measured the shim I made (0.1mm). I may have to try a 25.6mm post, if I can find one in my pile-o’-bike-junk.
At any rate, it’s a fun bike to ride. People look at me funny, and then smile when I come rolling by.